Oh no! My hearing aids got wet!

water droplets
Photo by Shane Aldendorff on Pexels.com

We all know the importance of keeping electronics dry. Most hearing aids are moisture-proof, but not totally waterproof. This means that light levels of moisture from sweating, or a rainy day, won’t cause damage to your hearing aids. However, sometimes our best efforts are not good enough. Sometimes our hearing aids get wet.

Maybe you accidentally wore them in the shower. Or maybe you dropped one in a puddle. Maybe you jumped into a swimming pool. Many different situations result in the same outcome — your hearing aids got wet.

Don’t panic! Just because your hearing aids got wet, it doesn’t mean they are ruined.

What to do if your hearing aids get wet

Don’t assume they are ruined. Stay calm, and do your best to dry out your hearing aids. If you’re able to quickly dry out the hearing aids, you may be able to alleviate the damage.

How to dry out your hearing aids

  1. If your hearing aids are on, make sure you turn them off right away.
  2. If they contain a battery, remove it immediately and throw it away. Don’t put in a new battery yet.
  3. Shake the hearing aid to get out as much water as you can, and dry it off with a towel.
  4. Leave the battery door open and let the hearing aids air-dry if possible. If you need to speed up the drying process, you can use a hair dryer on low heat to assist in the drying process.
    • If you have a hearing aid dryer at home, it can assist in drawing moisture out of the hearing aids.
    • Never put your hearing aids on a radiator, in the microwave, or in the oven to dry them. Excessive heat will cause more damage than good.
    • We do not recommend the classic “rice trick” for drying out hearing aids.
  5. After 24-48 hours, your hearing aids should be dry. At this time, put in a new battery and attempt to turn them on.

In many cases, after following the above steps, your hearing aids will work just fine. However, if your hearing aids won’t turn on, or don’t seem to be working properly, it’s time to contact a professional.

Leave a Reply